Interested in joining the Orlando Gay Chorus? That’s great! We are always looking to expand our family of singers, dancers and support staff. OGC is not only about creating superior musical performances, we’re also about having a great time doing it!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Requirements for membership?
- Age: Membership in Orlando Gay Chorus is open to all persons age 18 or older. Special conditions apply to minors, age 16 and 17, who are accepted as members.
- Cost: Singing, Dancing, and Support members pay annual Corporate Dues of $80. Singing and dancing members pay an additional $60 in Concert Performance Prep Fees for each concert in which they perform (all dancer concert fees will go towards purchasing required costuming). All dues and fees are non-refundable, and we do offer payment plans.
- Uniform (singing members): For major performances OGC provides vests and ties to its singing members. Singing members are responsible for obtaining a button down, long sleeved white dress shirt, black dress pants, and black, closed toed dress shoes for performance. For outreach performances, our “skittles” shirt costs $15 but OGC provides our black “billboard” shirt for free. There is only a charge to replace this shirt.
- Attendance: Singers and dancers are expected to attend 80% of the rehearsals leading up to a major performance. Chorus rehearsals are Wednesday evenings from 7:00pm-10:00pm. Dancers rehearse on Sunday afternoons from 2:00pm-6:00pm (this time frame may fluctuate due to more, or less, practice time being needed).
- Do I have to be gay? No! The Orlando Gay Chorus is comprised of LGBT members and straight allies! All are welcome to join our singing, dancing and support teams. YOU are welcome!
Are there limits to the number of singers?
The short answer is “yes”. OGC strives to maintain balance between each section in the chorus and can only take up to 150 singers on stage. Each season requires different voices depending on what singers have retired, left the chorus or moved away. For the Spring 2016 season we are looking for singers from all voice parts: soprano, alto, tenor and bass.
Are there limits to the number of dancers?
Yes. OGC currently is looking for two female dancers and two male dancers.
May alumni return to sing with the Orlando Gay Chorus?
We love to welcome family back to OGC. If you have not participated in the past two major performance, you will have to re-audition with the artistic staff.
Can I join your support staff?
Yes! These men and women work tirelessly behind the scenes to make everything happen for OGC. There literally would be no OGC if there was no Support Section. These amazing people perform the following:
- Handle and process all financial transactions for the chorus.
- Manage all facets of ticket sales and tracking.
- Organize and run fundraising for Toys For Tots Bicycles (last year we donated 142 bikes!).
- Complete all mail-out advertising to patrons.
- Provide guest services at all concerts.
- Organize and run all front-of-house activities at concerts and performances, including tickets, Will Call, ushering, silent auction, and any merchandise sales.
What happens next?
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know that you would like to audition.
- Fill out the form below:
Once Membership receives your email, we will be in contact for the next scheduled audition date, and can answer any further questions you might have about the chorus.